----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 15:47
Subject: [newbie] ICS, Shorewall stops rest of network

> It has taken me several months to work out that the reason I can't
> access the SAMBA server I have set up is because of the Shorewall
> settings configured by invoking MDK9.x ICS.
>
> At least that is my reading of it.
>
> Essentially, everything else on my network seems to work - ICS, and
the
> Linux box can read and write to the shared folders on the WinXP
boxes.
> However, although I can see the Samba Server connection on the WinXP
> box, attempting to open it results in "Network Path not found". I
cannot
> ping 192.168.1.1
>
> However, when I disable Shorewall, I can ping 192.168.1.1 and I can
> access Samba. But now ICS is disabled :(
>
> I have tried to make of sense of the "instructions and solutions"
out
> there on the internet. Frankly, my head is spinning. The Quickstart
> guide at Shorewall.net left me even more confused.
>
> Is anyone able to give me a simple, plain english explanation on how
> configure Shorewall & ICS so the other computers on my local
workgroup
> network can access SAMBA?
>

> Many thanks in advance...

hi Pierre,

i'm using Samba with ICS on Mandrake 9.0.

it works perfectly, although Shorewall has taken quite abit of flak on
this list due to the way mandrake configures it.

bjorn has highlighted the requirements in another reply, that is to
open ports 137, 138 and 139.

FYI, the two config files you need to touch for mandrake are
/etc/shorewall/rules, and maybe /etc/shorewall/interfaces.

you should try using the rules and interfaces with the appropriate
configuration from quickstart guide at shorewall.net, which you've
already found, and define rules and interfaces. the reason to use is
cos they come heavily commented, and IIRC the mandrake tools strips
the comments out.

you never stated your configuration, but this is how i'm configured
for two ethernet cards, with my dsl connected to eth1.

eg /etc/shorewall/interfaces
#ZONE    INTERFACE      BROADCAST       OPTIONS
net     eth1    detect
loc     eth0    detect

/etc/shorewall/rules
#samba
#ACTION SOURCE  DEST                    PROTO   DEST            SOURCE
ORIGINAL
#                                               PORT
PORT(S) DEST
ACCEPT  loc     fw                      tcp     137,138,139     -
ACCEPT  loc     fw                      udp     137,138,139     -

oh, and btw, you should remove the Reply-To in your email software
when posting to this list. the reasons are documented at
http://mandrake.vmlinuz.ca/bin/view/Main/MandrakeMailingListEtiquette
item number 2.

hth,
Jim