> > Ah! Here is the reference:
> http://www.hackbusters.net
> > While it's possible it may deal directly with his
> > LaBrea tar pit program, it appears to hinge around
> the
> > tar pit technology.  Here's a quote from the site:
> > Quote:
> >
> > This section of the Illinois Criminal Code was
> added
> > on January 1, 2003 by Public Act 92-728 and
> defines an
> > "unlawful communication device" as "any
> communication
> > device which is capable of... facilitating the
> > disruption... of a communication service without
> the
> > express consent or express authorization of the
> > communication service provider..."
>
> Well, I am not a resident of Illinois, therefore,
> this particular criminal
> code does not apply to me.

Good, but you might want to check these states too:
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/states/

> Also, as written, it is
> not usable against a
> honeypot.

I didn't see that - where is it?  And how does this
pertain to a tar pit?

> If you are running the honeypot, you are
> the communication service
> provider, therefore, you have given yourself express
> authorization.

As I understand it, the laws are writen losely so that
"communication service provider" is left open for
interpretation.  The ISP is also a communication
service provider.  Wouldn't you agree?

> I think that you need to reread the "for the
> commission of a theft of a
> communication service" portion again.  A spammer, by
> definition is committing
> a theft of service and meets all the definitions of
> this act.  So, he is
> going to press criminal charges against you for
> committing an act identical
> to his own?  A drug dealer pressing charges against
> another drug dealer for
> dealing drugs?  Not only that but criminal charges
> must be prosecuted by the
> State, not by a private entity, so there is no way
> that a spammer can sue you
> for a violation of criminal law, only for a tort.

The underlying problem isn't "theft of data" but
rather running an "a unlawful communication device"
(program) tht "distrupts communication and conseals
origin of data".

> > LaBrea both disrupts communication and conceals
> the
> > true origin of communication in an attempt to
> protect
> > a network from attack. If you are currently
> running
> > LaBrea, I would suggest that you look into the
> > legality of having an operating network tarpit in
> your
> > state.
> >
> > ...Not to encouraging, eh ? =/  This program
> sounds
> > nice too...
>
> Someone's paranoid reading of the law in a way that
> suits their fantasy.

I agree with you that it may simply be paranoid
interpretation...  But then again, who's providing
goods/serveices/etc and isn't at least slightly
paranoid of lawyers?  It's almost like you need to
adapt the security mentality - "don't assume the
probable but rather the possible".  Contrary to what
it sounds, this isn't a rant on the US legal system.
Instead, I'm just tying to get the facts straight
here.  I've considered implmenting such software in my
organization.  Fortunately, the orgainization has a
lawyer that may be  resourceful in this situation.

> --
> Bryan Phinney
> Software Test Engineer

Thanks,