On Friday 31 October 2003 09:38 pm, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:17:50 -0500
>
> Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > The answer however, is not to reject everything out of hand and adopt
> > the position that no law can be useful.
>
> Unless you recognize that laws *create disorder* ;-)
>
> "The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and
> robbers there will be."
>               -- Lao Tsu

Cute little sayings like this are relatively meaningless to me.  Anarchy would
be far worse for all of us than even "over-the-top" government.  Laws are an
absolute necessity without which there can be no social construct or
meaningful life outside of a every man for himself struggle for survival.
The ironic thing is that the most vociferous supporters of anarchy are the
least likely to live well in such a system.

> There is an alternative to the "Babylon shitstem", the bureaucracy, the
> SNAFU that we call "government". It's people taking responsibility for
> their own participation in the community, the 'net, and leaving the
> parasites and legal priests out of it.

For better or worse, they are already in it and they will continue to be in
it.  The next time someone uses a phishing technique on your grandmother and
steals a couple thousand out of her bank account, tell me then about how you
still want to leave the parasites and legal priests out of it.

> I will never sit down with MPAA or RIAA  or MS lawyers and work out a
> "compromise". When you choose the lesser of two evils, you choose evil.

Again, if the RIAA had sat down with the tech community from the very
beginning to help design a system that enabled the artists that they are
supposedly protecting to earn royalties or be reimbursed for their work while
still providing a valuable service to consumers, I would have applauded it.
Much like the original MPAA made its peace with VCR's and we all benefitted
from that compromise.

Shrill extreme rhetoric does not do our community any good, Haywiremac.  It
may make you feel good, but it will result in your being left behind to stand
in the corner while the rest of the kids learn to play nice together.
--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer