On Tuesday 11 Nov 2003 9:23 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Dear Friends ,
>
> I have Asus A7n8x-deluxe , 2500 + athlon and Asus FX 5600 vga card. I
> installed Mandrake 9.2 and I also installed latest original mainboard and
> vga drivers from Nvidia's site. Everything ( even 3com lan adapter ) works
> fine. I see no fail message during boot -up. I also installed some styles(
> aqua ) from www.kde-look.org and normally there seems no any error. But my
> system crashes randomly ( stops responding , no mouse and no keyboard !! )
> . I experienced this while I was scrolling with mouse ( mouse stopped
> suddenly ) . This happened twice in 3 hours. When I was using Win XP I had
> the same problem ( The system crashed randomly in 3 hours or sometimes did
> not crash at all several days. I mean This happened randomly . But after
> installing latest XP drivers for mobo and VGA I did not experience any
> crash since 7 days of hardwork on XP. It seems  It  is OK on XP ,  but how
> about on Mandrake 9.2 ??. My rams are Kingston. My power supply unit is 400
> W Zalman.
>
> Is there any possibility of hardware failure if so how can I understand ??
> And if the reason is somehow Mandrake 9.2 ; I heard always that linux is
> much more stable , so what is this ?????
>
> And what can I do if such crash happens on Mandrake ? should I wait ? or
> should I  reset the computer ?? since keyboard and mouse does not respond.
>
> Thanks..
>
> Hertas.
The fact that it crashes in Linux and in Windows immediately indicates a
hardware problem.
Typical causes of crashes are usually memory problems or thermal. You are
using good quality components, but if you are over clocking or using
aggressive memory timings you could be operating in  marginal stability.
Often memory problems are more obvious in Linux than in Windows because Linux
uses all the memory  (for disc caching) while in Windows the upper memory
areas can be virtually unused.

To find the problem install memtest86 from your Mandrake CDs. It will put a
new entry in Lilo.  Boot into memtest86 and run a test for several hours.
There should be *no* failures at all.

As for what to do when a crash happens. It is possible the crash has only
affected your Window Manager in which case the kernel is still running. There
is a page in the Mandrake On line manual which tells you how to do a graceful
shutdown using Alt+SysRq+r, Alt+SysRq+s, Alt+SysRq+t, Alt+SysRq+e, but if it
is a kernel panic then the only thing to do is power off.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net