On Tuesday 11 November 2003 09:16 pm, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 November 2003 7:06 am, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Yesterday I received my 7 cd's with 9.2. Installed without
> > formatting my /home. Works fine and maybe even faster than 9.1.
> >
> > But :
> > 1. where is "file manager - super user mode".
> > 2. why does "kdf" list my partitions twice ?
> > 3. In 9.1 I could just plug in my camera, open kdf and mount
> > the device for transferring the pictures. Not so anymore, the
> > camera doesn't show up at all.
>
> Now, I had incredible problems after "upgrading" 9.1 to 9.2 from
> the club download. All sorts of stuff was missing and was
> installed wrong. My big problem was that I was stuck with locales
> giving me GB english instead of American. My Control Center was
> "Control Centre" nothing against the Brits, but in the USA we
> spell things differently.
>
> So I reinstalled, saving /home, as you did.
>
> Another big problem for me was how the packaging changed for KDE,
> from about a dozen RPMs to about 100, as each package was split
> up to give users more flexability, and I found the installer
> missed some obvious ones, so I suggest using rpmdrake to search
> the CDs to find the stuff you want, and install it manually.
>
> Supermount and devfs are installed as default. They are the bad
> actors with you not being about to mount /mnt/camera. You have to
> turn them off by removing supermount from fstab, and rewriting
> the lines in a proper manner, and by adding "append= nodevfs" to
> lilo.conf, then "rpm -e devfsd" to remove the package from your
> system.
>
> Rob

Well Rob, I had similar experiences. The biggest surprise was a
completely missing Kmail. And - of course - the new install whacked
my Open Office 1.1.0 (installed in /opt) and replaced it with RC4.
Same thing with Mozilla 1.5 - it gave me 1.4, but I can live with
that.

Luckily I'm on broadband, so urpmi'ing everything is a breeze. for
example the default install didn't give me Gimp, Aumix, Alsaplayer
and a few other apps. Maybe i was to lazy to go through the
detailed package list ?

Nevertheless, after about one day of tweeking my system seems to run
fine - well, almost.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*This mail was sent from a 100 % Microsoft free computer*