On Saturday 15 Nov 2003 7:37 pm, Paul Downey wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> Thanks ever so much for your speedy reply, Your suggestions are great,
> If I understand you correctly, your suggestion / solution implies that the
> dial-up /  ppp connection is running on the same machine that fetchmail is.
> Therefore the dial up( if-up.local ) script calls fetchmail when it has
> brought the modem link up.......!
>
> I am not sure if I made my self clear, my apoligies.......
> My dial-up connection is on another box ( a smoothwall / firewall ) and it
> is this box that has a modem
> attached to act as my gateway device.  ( dial on demand. )
>
> I run fetchmail on my mandrake 9.0 work station, and it times out with a
> dns error
> I think this is due to the amout of time that the smoothwall box takes to
> dial up my isp........?
>
> I have looked into my "Reply To" setting in my LookOut Express
> Once again many thanks.
>
> Paul

Ok Well in that case  you will not like my second suggestion either. Running
fetchmail  as a daemon would cause  your firewall to redial the modem every 3
minutes :-(

I assume the firewall saves the packets it has received while it is waiting
for the modem to dial, so does the 3rd solution help?  (Using an explicit IP
address in fetchmail configuration)

The other solution that comes to mind is to run fetchmail on your firewall and
save your mail on there. You could  run your cron job on the firewall itself.

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net