Well I tried the little script, and with a few tweeks, I managed to get it
to do what I have been wanting all along...?
many many thanks to all that replied to my emails to the newbie lists.
another happy Linux user  (newbie.)

I am slowly weening my self off using Microsoft's soft ( hope that comment's
not too taboo).

Cheers.

Paul.

Could a small script like this help?

---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# To activate the connection
ping -c 4 pop.myisp.com > /dev/null

# Wait 30 seconds
sleep 30s

# fetch you mails
/usr/bin/fetchmail -v -t 200 -D mydomain.co.uk -F

Try pinging pop.myisp.com to find out if the dial on demand connection
is activated.

If so, use the script in a cron job instead of calling fetchmail.

HTH

Adolfo