On Saturday 15 Nov 2003 4:31 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would be greatfull if some one could plz suggest a possible solution to a
> fetchmail problem I am having..
> I am currently using smoothwall to connect to my ISP to send/ receive mail
> / browse the web, via a dial on demand ppp modem connection.
>
> On my Mandrake 9.0 Workstation, I have set up a cron job to run fetchmail
> several times a day to collect mail.....
> The problem I am having is that when cron run's fetchmail at the designated
> time, fetchmail times out with the following error..
> couldn't find canonical DNS name of pop.myisp.com
> I am running bind as a caching name server and it seems to be working ok.
>
> The average connect times on my dial up modem connection is 30-45sec...
>
> I run fetchmail with the following syntax  /usr/bin/fetchmail -v -t 200 -D
> mydomain.co.uk -F
>

> Is there a way I can get fetchmail to wait for about 30 seconds before it
> tries to fetchmail.....?
> I thought that the -t switch would be the answer, but this doesn't seem to
> help.....
>
> Any suggestions welcome......?
>
> Regards
> Paul Downey
>
> Linux Newbie

Instead of using a cron job you could put your fetchmail command in
/etc/ppp/if-up.local  It will be executed after the dial up is established.

Alternatively run fetchmail as a daemon. Install the fetchmail-daemon RPM and
it will run continuously using /etc/fetchmailrc as its config file. It does
not matter if you are on line or not. By default it will poll for mail every
180 secs as defined in /etc/init.d/fetchmail

Also to get bind out of the equation you could reference your ISP's mail
server by IP address instead of canonical name

HTH

derek

BTW: You do not need that "Reply To" setting in your LookOut Express
configuration. Deleting it will make lots of people happy.

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net