On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 16:05, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Saturday 15 Nov 2003 7:37 pm, Paul Downey wrote:
> > Hi Derek,
> >
> > Thanks ever so much for your speedy reply, Your suggestions are great,
> > If I understand you correctly, your suggestion / solution implies that the
> > dial-up /  ppp connection is running on the same machine that fetchmail is.
> > Therefore the dial up( if-up.local ) script calls fetchmail when it has
> > brought the modem link up.......!
> >
> > I am not sure if I made my self clear, my apoligies.......
> > My dial-up connection is on another box ( a smoothwall / firewall ) and it
> > is this box that has a modem
> > attached to act as my gateway device.  ( dial on demand. )
> >
> > I run fetchmail on my mandrake 9.0 work station, and it times out with a
> > dns error
> > I think this is due to the amout of time that the smoothwall box takes to
> > dial up my isp........?
> >
> > I have looked into my "Reply To" setting in my LookOut Express
> > Once again many thanks.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Ok Well in that case  you will not like my second suggestion either. Running
> fetchmail  as a daemon would cause  your firewall to redial the modem every 3
> minutes :-(
>
> I assume the firewall saves the packets it has received while it is waiting
> for the modem to dial, so does the 3rd solution help?  (Using an explicit IP
> address in fetchmail configuration)
>
> The other solution that comes to mind is to run fetchmail on your firewall and
> save your mail on there. You could  run your cron job on the firewall itself.
>
> derek

Could a small script like this help?

---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

# To activate the connection
ping -c 4 pop.myisp.com > /dev/null

# Wait 30 seconds
sleep 30s

# fetch you mails
/usr/bin/fetchmail -v -t 200 -D mydomain.co.uk -F

Try pinging pop.myisp.com to find out if the dial on demand connection
is activated.

If so, use the script in a cron job instead of calling fetchmail.

HTH

Adolfo