Sunday 16 November 2003 12:15 pm, candlish wrote:
> Dear Charlie,
>
> Thank you for your comments.

You may have missed my point (the one on my head (-;) though.

> E-mail sound may not have a need for html and the requirement for hugh
> downloads can be avoided. E-mail sounds tend to be around 35k or 3
> seconds modem action.

The only time I did anything resembling the proposal that started this
diatribe was one "birthday card" that was e-mailed to the person in question
the day I delivered and set up her system. I used files from her hard drive
called by html because it was;

a.) a much "lighter" message in terms of size,
b.) I knew exactly what I could call for effect because I had placed the files
on her system before I delivered it.

Less than 15 minutes later all scripting in e-mail was turned off and the
Outlook Express quick launch icon actually called Opera Mail. Belt'n'braces
as some would say.

The message was less than ten kilo bytes but the background, music and fonts
were all displayed as intended. Size does matter, even though here in Canada
there are few people that don't have access to broadband connections, it's
not exactly effective to your intended purpose to have a person on dial up
have a "card" that takes 2 to 10 minutes to load, now is it?

I think my method now is a more reasonable response. By that I mean a small
animated "Happy Birthday" gif for example, or just a link to a page that
expresses the appropriate sentiment, as an "e-card" that I've stored on my
own web space gives the flexibility that I want without having to reverse the
effect of my years of screaming at people to never allow remote images,
applications, or scripts to run in e-mail clients. I choose not to have to
fight that battle again.

Viruses, trojans, and worms, are an unfortunate reality; and having spent all
of this time trying to convince people whose systems I'm responsible for not
to open the door to malware, even by accident, means I'm damned if I'll
condone anything more that what I've already stated. The way the last few
worms have been written means that even my method is suspect, since they can
be activated easily from a corrupted gif, jpeg, or a simple hyper link or
through simple instant messenger connections. Or worse. None of the systems
in question have anything like that level of vulnerability since I won't
allow it, but who knows what the authors of malicious software are going to
think up next. With Microsoft's unwitting(???) help of course.

If you think I feel that this is a war, and that e-mail is one of the primary
battle fields;

DUH!

> Not very much fun sending a Christmas card to a recipient, who has to
> look up a web page to find a manufactured e-mail to get a result.

Look up what Malcolm? The links I've sent to people are direct to a web page
designed to convey my greetings/message. The whole page, and no external
links. One click on an e-mail link versus increased vulnerability. I know
which I prefer since I have to clean any resultant nasties out if and
when....

> Linux must be able to do this and better than MS.

It does, by not allowing such ridiculous abuses by default.

> Best wishes,
>
> Malcolm Candlish.
<chop>

I wish you well with your idea, but I'd prefer to think safety before ear and
eye candy.

Just my humble opinion.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
13:14:04 up 6 min, 1 user, load average: 0.10, 0.26, 0.15
If puns were deli meat, this would be the wurst.