On Friday 28 Nov 2003 1:07 pm, aron wrote:
> On Friday 28 November 2003 05:03 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > I am using shorewall,and yes I configured it _before_configureing
> > > the lan
> >
> > Is there nothing at all in the logs to show what happens at 3a.m.?
>
> Was getting repeated access attempts then the logs disapeared.
> I then wiped the system and reloaded 9.1.
> sorry to not know the right procedure
>
> > Anne

What services do you have running?
If you are not running rlogin,telnet,ssh,ftp  then it is going to be very hard
for them to attack you. Also if you run 'Higher' level security level then
root log on is prohibited and they will have to break your user account
password before breaking your root password.

And I assume you are using 'strong' passwords  (ones with random alpha and
numeric characters) There are utilities which will quickly guess a weak
password.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net