> On Saturday 29 Nov 2003 7:44 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > I posed this question before and I was greatly helped by Derek. I had
> > problems in Windows XP, and two months have passed before I solved them.
> >
> > I am trying to configure a wireless internet access on a desktop
computer
> > by means of an SMS2662W USB adaptor On Mandrake 9.2.
> >
> > Derek advised me to use one of two drivers: at76c593a or
atmelwlandriver. I
> > never tried them because I felt I had to fix problems in Windows before
> > trying in Mandrake. I also have the drivers provided by SMC. The problem
> > with this one is that I can simply do not see how the driver is called.
The
> > file to download is SMC2662WV2_Linux.tar.gz, and upon de-compression it
> > gives the folder: SMC_USB_WIRELESS_2662W. No more references to how the
> > driver is called. There are here 2 tools to configure the driver, I have
> > used one and I think the driver is now ready.
> >
> > If I go to configuration to Internet access, I can select from a list of
> > drivers, but the ones Derek suggested do not appear in 9.2.
> >
> > I apologize to you, Derek, because I suddenly disappeared, but I have
had
> > very little time to configure my computers. I would appreciate it if you
> > will still help me this time.
> >
> > Teilhard
>
> As it happens the at76c593a driver is included with 9.2 and it works
> beautifully. The only problem is that the atmelwlandriver is also included
> and will claim your SMS2662W first.
>  The atmelwlandriver is my opinion a right pig to configure especially
since
> the configuration utility is *not* included in 9.2
>
> I have a workaround described here

http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=19

Thanks so much, Derek. It seems that my adaptor is not recognized by the OS.
However, when I write: iwconfig. the right parameters of the wireless
networking appear in eth0. I just get info; I do not know how to use it as a
configuration utility. Please tell me where I find the drivers you recommend
and how to load them. For the driver provided by SMC, I get a configuration
utility which I have used already. Seems the driver is properly configured
now, but I do not even know its name.

Teilhard.