----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Jennings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 30, 2003 8:40 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake 9.2

> SNIP
> >
> > When you type iwconfig and see eth0 appear that tells me that the
> > atmelwlandriver has been loaded.  (It uses eth0 by default) If the
> > at76c503c driver was loaded the device would be called wlan0
> >
> > Follow the advice in my workaround and it will work.
> > All you have to do is move the folder
> > /lib/modules/2.4.22-xxmdk/kernel/3rdparty/atmelwlan
> >
> > (where xx is the version of kernel you are using)
> > to somewhere outside  the /lib folder and the atmelwlandriver will no
> > longer load.
> >
> > derek
>
> Actually I just realised there is an even easier way of forcing hotplug to
> install the at76c503c driver instead of the atmelwlandriver.
> All you have to do is put the names of the atmelwlandriver in
> /etc/hotplug/blacklist
>
> Just inserting
> usbvnet_rfmd
> usbvnet_r505_2958
>
> should do the trick.
> You still have to define the configuration file by hand
> (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 )  since draknet will not
> recognise the interface

Thanks a lot, Derek. It seems everything is set now. I still do not get into
Internet, though. First, as you said, iwconfig gives:
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
wlan0 IEEE 802.11-DS ESSID:"2WIRE193" Nickname:"castillo.nuthouse.nut"
Mode:Managed Channel:6 Access Point: 00:0D:72:17:AA:E9

Bit Rate=11Mb/s

RTS thr=1536 B Fragment thr=1536 B

Encryption key:9442-9454-75 Security mode:open

Power Management:off

Link Quality:0 Signal level:100 Noise level:0

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I wrote the two lines you mention in "blacklist.

I guess the problem is in my ifcfg-wlan0 file. I worte it as:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

DEVICE=wlan0

BOOTPROTO=static

IPADDR=172.16.1.34

NETMASK=255.255.0.0

NETWORK=172.16.0.1

ONBOOT=yes

KEY=94:42:94:54:75

WIRELESS_RATE=11M

WIRELESS_MODE=managed

WIRELESS_ESSID=2WIRE193

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Note that the line giving the value of  BROADCAST is absent, I simply could
not figure out what to put there.

Only thing to mention is that my wireless modem is a router too. I then
wrote everything as if the adaptor "saw" an static configuration. Although
the "external" IP may vary (dynamic account), the internal IP's are always
the same.

For NETWORK, I wrote the router address, and also for NETMASK, the router
NETMASK, the IPADDR is the "internal" one. For the WIRELESS_MODE, I would
have written: "infrastructure", but in your web example you select
"managed", so, perhaps it is not what I am thinking.

Thanks so much for helping me with this.

Teilhard.