On Saturday 29 November 2003 11:14 pm, Cenora wrote:
> > Run update-menus -v as root
>
> I've done it, but didn work. I changed the security level, and its' ok
> now with the menus (considering it's 9.2).
>
> > and then apply all the security and bug fix updates to fix permanently.
>
> Are there programs like those available? Correcting programs?
>
> > What is slow BTW, K3b or the system?
>
> The system is slow. What's BTW?

By the way

> >  If it is taking too long to load programs, it could be that the machine
> > is having trouble resolving to its own name.  What does your /etc/hosts
> > file look like?
>
> I'm not able to analyse them. I use KDE desktop, and it's way too slow
> on loading at startup. Programs are taking longer too to load. I checked
> the CPU usage, and it seems normal... Gotta be something intrinsic from
> the MDK/KDE?!?!

It sounds like your machine is having trouble resolving itself.  ie, can't
find itself by name.  What did you name your machine?  Post the contents of
you /etc/hosts file.  This happened to me, I had to add a line to my
/etc/hosts file pointing my machine name to the loopback address 127.0.0.1

--
/g