On Sunday 30 November 2003 04:25 am, JoeHill wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:35:43 -0500
>
> Mike Adolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > After I rebooted, it got the same error,
> > THE PERMISSONS WERE SET BACK TO ORIGINAL VALUES!!
>
> That's msec in action:
>
> http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/secure/smsec.html
>
> Linux isn't out to lunch, it's protecting you from yourself.
>
> Having the perms 777 is inherantly dangerous, the degree of danger
> depending on your security setup and situation.

True, but sometimes you may want a directory with perms 777(NOT your /home
though--ever).  The problem is, msec, in its wisdom, and with its mission to
protect you from yourself, will reset the permissions.  If you know what you
are doing, and actually want these permissions you can either edit a
perms.local file, or turn off msec.  How do you turn off msec?  Actually, the
easiest way is to go to /usr/sbin/msec and rename the executable to
"DISABLEmsec".  Presto!  msec will not change permissions again.  And, to
re-enable the little sucker, just rename the executable back to "msec".

I am no fan of msec, obviously.

erylon