On Sunday 30 November 2003 19:29, E. Hines wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2003 04:25 am, JoeHill wrote:
> > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:35:43 -0500
> >
> > Mike Adolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > After I rebooted, it got the same error,
> > > THE PERMISSONS WERE SET BACK TO ORIGINAL VALUES!!
> >
> > That's msec in action:
> >
> > http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/secure/smsec.html
> >
> > Linux isn't out to lunch, it's protecting you from yourself.
> >
> > Having the perms 777 is inherantly dangerous, the degree of
> > danger depending on your security setup and situation.
>
> True, but sometimes you may want a directory with perms 777(NOT
> your /home though--ever).  The problem is, msec, in its wisdom,
> and with its mission to protect you from yourself, will reset the
> permissions.  If you know what you are doing, and actually want
> these permissions you can either edit a perms.local file, or turn
> off msec.  How do you turn off msec?  Actually, the easiest way
> is to go to /usr/sbin/msec and rename the executable to
> "DISABLEmsec".  Presto!  msec will not change permissions again.
> And, to re-enable the little sucker, just rename the executable
> back to "msec".
>
> I am no fan of msec, obviously.
>
> erylon

On the other hand, msec is very handy when having multiple users on
the same system, say a whole family, and you want every member to
have a little privacy. Setting msec to "high" will accomplish this.

Then again, it is often practical to have a partition in common. For
example family photo albums etc.. Or for those people who still
dual-boot with another OS it is a convenience to have a FAT32
partition around.

Now, instead of messing around with permissions like 777, which msec
in "high" position will change soon, it is much easier to edit the
fstab with the option : umask=0. Of course, that's only valid for a
partition, not a directory.

HTH

Kaj Haulrich.
--
** Sent from a 100 % Microsoft-free computer **