Mike Adolf wrote:
On Sunday 30 November 2003 08:08 am, Derek Jennings wrote:

On Sunday 30 Nov 2003 12:28 pm, JoeHill wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:35:43 -0500

Mike Adolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I added a second user using userdrake. When I tried to logon to the new
account. I get "No Write Permission on HOME " KDE can't start.  SO,
although the new home has the same permissions as my home,  I change
the permission to 777 on new HOME.  Tried to log on again (without
rebooting), and it worked. I thought, OK problem solved. Wrong! After I
rebooted, it got the same error, THE PERMISSONS WERE SET BACK TO
ORIGINAL VALUES!! I repeated the chmod again just to make sure I wasn't
nuts. I wasn't.

I opened userdrake and it had the userid = 500 and groupid = 500. BUT
doing an

ls -l on /home shows that the new home has user and group both 502 ????

BTW, were the two usernames the same? I've never tried to create two users with the same name, I'm not sure how the system would react with that. I've certainly never run into this problem creating a new user with a *different* name before.

I'm coming in a bit late here, but can I assume the Original Poster reinstalled their system without reformatting their /home?

When you do that it is important to add the users in precisely the same
order or else the user will have a different UID/GID and will not own their
own home directory.

The installer will add users beginning with UID 501, but userdrake will add
a user starting from UID 500

The solution is not to change the perms to 777, but to change the UID/GID
on all the folders in /home

derek

derek,

You hit the nail on the head! Long, long time ago when I first installed MDK, I set up a second user for my wife. However, she wanted nothing to to with linux. Since then, it was necessary to reinstall linux (no reformatting) and I only created one user. Now that our windows half is down, waiting on a new modem, she thinks linux might me OK for getting her mail. So, I used userdrake to set up a second user by the same original name; and I thought the home directory was just created then. Wrong. It was the old one from before with a UID=502 (as expected since done on an install). Anyway, I just trashed the directory and made a new user using userdrake. It used UID= 500. All is well.

I do feel that the different numbering schems should be cleared up in the next release.

In similar situations, I've found something like "chown -R fred /home/fred" to work. In fact, if you're dealing with lots of users, you could probably write a script to do it automatically.

Sir Robin

--
"Certitude is possible for those who only own one encyclopedia."
- Robert Anton Wilson

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi