> Friday 05 December 2003 1:23 pm, RickS wrote:
> <whack>
>
> *********************HOLD IT!****************************************
>
> > IA32 or IA64 are Intel architecture 32 and 64  bit
> > AMD64 is well ..you guessed it ..  for your AMD Athlon 1.4, so download
> > the AMD64 driver and make sure you look at the readme file 1st.
> > I have an Intel and I rushed thru it to get it working and ended up
> > mangling it. So prepare yourself. You have any more questions post
> > them.
>
> Incorrect, wrong, not freakin' likely and _don't do that!_
>
> > Good Luck
> > RickS
>
> Yeah, he'd need luck with that advice.
>
> You're right about IA32 and IA64 being Intel but AMD64 is NOT an Athlon
> anything. It's an actual 64 bit processor. Also called Opteron, AMD64.
FX-51
> etc ad infinitum. While the AMD64 processors will run in a "legacy mode"
and
> you're able to run 32 bit operating systems on them, the reverse is
_*NOT*_
> true.
>
> Don't try to install a 64 bit application or driver on the Athlon, you
won't
> like the result.
>
> Regards;
> Charlie

Sorry to reply so late. My server or the list are not behaving in a decent
way for me. I appreciate your feedback. Only problem is that it seems there
are no drivers for my Athlon. I seem to need an equivalent to IA32, but
there is not one. What can I do? To remain with the "niv" (is that the
provided by Mandrake?) driver?

Teilhard