Monday 08 December 2003 10:12 am, Teilhard Knight wrote:
<whack, snip and edit>
> > Open Source Sound (OSS), or Alsa. Which?
>
> How do I tell?
Here goes another of those damned "Charlie" books. Sorry for length in other
words.

Your posting of the output for the command that I requested tells me what
driver you're using. ie.: snd-emu10k1 which says you have installed and are
using the proper alsa modules for your card. As am I, but mine is working and
yours isn't so let's see what we can see.

>  Is artsd controlling properly, and is it set to Auto suspend after X number
of seconds of inactivity. Mine is set for 1 second and the sound works fine.

> I'm afraid I do not know what is "artsd".

Artsd is the KDE sound server. Now you know why I asked that question. Open
the "Configure your desktop" (kde control centre) dialogue and find the Sound
heading, then the Sound System sub-heading. There are three tabs. If you like
I'll send you a screen shot off list to show the settings on mine since we
have the same basic card. Let me know.

> The sound is controlled by a PCI "Creative Sound Blaster Live! + 5.1".
> Onboard sound is disabled (by a jumper). The home theater is a "Cambridge
> SoundWorks DTT3500 Digital Five Satellite/Subwoofer". Funny thing is that
> one of the leads (for digital output) blinks if there is no signal to the
> amplifier, but with Mandrake, it remains solid. That leads me to think that
> no complicated configuration is needed, and that perhaps it is only
> adjusting the volume or something like that.

Nothing unusual there. I see in another reply you have found that you needed
to install aumix. Have you? Did you then launch it (in a terminal just type
aumix and strike the enter key) and adjust the settings, then click the File
button, click the Save button then close it? If not try it.

Keep that terminal open, preferably as super user and open the Mandrake
Control centre. Find the System heading in the left column, then the
DrakXservices sub-heading in the right panel and see whether alsa is running
and whether it's set to start at boot. It should be the first item in the
alphabetical list. Next scroll down and find sound and look for the same
conditions. After being certain that both conditions are true (alsa running
and set to start at boot, sound the same settings) click the OK button.
Report the output of any error messages back to the list.

If you still have no sound; still in the Mandrake Control Centre, click
Hardware in the left column and HardDrake in the right panel. Find your sound
card and click it. You should see, in the farthest right panel something
similar to this:
Vendor: âCreative Labs
Alternative drivers: âaudigy:emu10k1
Bus: âPCI
Bus identification: â1102:2:1102:8027
Location on the bus: â0:b:0
Module: âsnd-emu10k1
Media class: âMULTIMEDIA_AUDIO

Below that there are 2 buttons, one says configure module (leave that one for
now) and the bottom one says Run config tool. Click that one. Now you'll have
another dialogue that has an information pane and three pull down buttons,
one of which shows the driver currently being used, another says Trouble
shooting, the last says Let me pick any driver. My card is configured and
working with the default driver snd-emu10k1. So is your apparently. Click the
trouble shooting button and follow the instructions.

> > Post the output of this shell command from a terminal as super user:
> > lspcidrake -v
<snip>

> snd-emu10k1 : Creative Labs|SB Live! (audio) [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO]
> (vendor:1102 device:0002 subv:1102 subd:8061)

Same as mine, so I'm still thinking you have a volume level set to zero
somewhere. Or muted somehow. Or the cable is connected to the wrong socket.
Or the volume setting on the speakers is set to off. I did that when I first
got my Altec Lansings. Two volume controls, one on the sub, one on the left
speaker. The sub was zeroed. Oops! <g>

Check all the obvious (blatantly obvious?) things first and then we'll play
software roulette. (-;

I'm still CC:'ing you to be certain you get this.

> Thanks so much for this. I got this post of yours only as a message for me,
> not as a post in the list. If you had replied only to the list, I wouldn't
> have got it.
>
> Also, thanks so much for taking the time to see into my problem.
>
> Teilhard.

Don't thank me unless I actually help you get sound working. <g> You're very
welcome.

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
Sometimes love ain't nothing but a misunderstanding between two fools.