On Sunday 14 December 2003 12:33 am, Guy Rouillier wrote:
> Before I begin, let me start by saying I am a fan of Linux, so the
> points I raise below are from the "converted."  Last night I spent an
> exasperating 6 hrs struggling with numerous issues.  I'll submit them as
> bugs if appropriate.  I feel these issues (and many more like them) are
> impediments to the widespread adoption of Linux as a desktop platform.
>

> (7) Open Office works okay, looks like the Windows version, but is
> glacial at loading.  The Windows version loads much faster on the same
> hardware (dual boot.)

Open Office loads the whole package when you call it. MS Office generally
loads most of itself when you boot up the machine, hence it feels like a
faster startup.

> (8)  Actually, the Windows GUI is much more responsive than Gnome under
> 9.2.  I have old, slow hardware (dual Pentium 233 MMX), will be
> upgrading to dual Opteron soon.  But dragging a window around, e.g.,
> under Linux leaves trails for about 1/2 to 1 second.  Under Windows,
> dragging is pretty smooth, and never leaves trails.

Have you checked the settings in your "peripherals-Mouse" under The Control
Center?  You can change the arrow trails to not and speed up the mouse.

> Lest I come off as a complainer, many things under Linux are done very
> well.  rdesktop is really slick - looks great, faster than Remote
> Desktop under Windows.  gCVS is a great first attempt, though it's
> missing some basics (like context menus) and hasn't been updated since
> v1.0 came out in January.  gFtp is also well done.  But unfortunately
> the fit and finish on many things is wanting, and those less zealous
> than the people on this list will find Linux as a desktop frequently
> exasperating.
And yes I agree that not all aspects are automagic, but for me that is the
beauty of linux I spent about two hours last night getting a tv card working
and once I did it plays VHS and TV and FM radio. What a feeling of
satisfaction. Now I will start on "How do I save VHS and burn it to a DVD or
CDVD "  Apparently not easy but the challange is what I enjoy.  So for those
who want  a computer to "just work" I would say try Mandrake, and if it does
not do the job then wait about 6 months to a year and it will.  I started
with the 6.x series of Mandrake and am totally amazed at how fast it has gone
from bare bones no usb support  to screaming A64 and dual cpu setups. I do
not understand a lot of what or how all this works, but it is magic.  Little
electrons get moved around and their electrons changed or whatever and
something appears on my monitor, MAGIC!
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842