Bryan Phinney wrote:

Well, based on the rest of what you say, you don't sound very converted to me.

Bryan, please keep in mind this is a newbie list. I realized when I composed my initial message that I ran the risk of offending those who might perceive me as attacking their child, and I tried the best I could to keep subjective opinions out of my message and only point out things that might make a newbie's experience less pleasant than it could be. Judging from the tone of your reply, I failed, and I apologize for stepping on any toes of developer's of the products I mentioned. I was thinking of responding to the points you raised, but I don't see anything productive coming out of that.

I've been tinkering with Linux for about 4 years now, but have been unable to adopt it full time because I haven't been able to assemble tools similar to the ones I've gathered over the years under Win2k and its predecessors. I still try, though, and I'm getting closer. My opinion is that the only way to improve the Linux experience is to point out deficiencies I find. You apparently find that offensive, so we'll just have to disagree. I am a software developer by profession and can contribute to improving open source software (and I do), but I don't have the time to contribute to a dozen different areas.

--
Guy Rouillier