Martin; If you've got the time and patience, I'd like to
suggest something that will solve most of your
hard drive access problems. This is something that I have
done time and again, and I've been damn
glad I did because it saved me from a catastrophic loss of
data several times, so I'll throw it into the
mix here. Let me know if it works for you.

The first thing to remember is that this will mean wiping
your hard drive completely, so I'd like to
suggest that you start burning CD's right away. Once you've
saved all your important data to CD, you
should be able to proceed without concern.

On a typical system, with at least a 25 Gb hard drive, I
typically split the hard drive into smaller partitions.
If you follow this suggestion to the end, you should have
everything you need with a minimum of wasted
space, and access to all your data with a minimum of
hassle.

For example - A 25 Gb hard drive divided into 3 partitions

1) The first is approximately 8GB in size, and formatted
for NTFS. Here, you'll re-install Windows.
2) The second partition is ALSO 8 GB in size - and here
you'll install Linux. A typical install of
Linux would be set up with a "/" ( root ) partition of
about 6GB's - giving you lots of space for applications
and assorted packages, with another partition equal to the
amount of RAM you have in your system -
not to worry because Mandrake will suggest the appropriate
size during installation. Use the remainder
of the 8Gb partition for "/home".

Item #2 above is inclusive - that is all the partitions
mentioned during this part of the re-installation are all
contained in the second 8GB partition. Even though the
"/home" patition looks small, don't worry. That's
what the rest of the hard drive is for.

3) You can create and format this partition in Windows or
Linux, but the trick is to format it as FAT32. In
this partition you will store all you data - documents,
MP3's, etc., etc. You can even "re-map" your
"My Documents" folder on your Windows Desktop to this
drive, but do yourself a favor and create the folder
on this drive before you do the move.

Some final notes - Is essence, you only need to leave
enough space in Windows or Linux to install your
programs. If you look at it this way, you don't need as
much space in either because you won't be storing
any data on "C:\" ( in Windows) or "/" (in Linux ). This
means that you don't have to duplicate storage space
on either partition. It also means that you can have one
location for all your data, since Microsoft Office,
OpenOffice , and Koffice will all allow you to use the
exact same folder as the location of your documents.

In a similar fashion, you should be able to re-map the
location of emails, MP3's, etc., so that programs
from either operating system can access and use the files.
The added bonus is that if your Wiindows ever
needs to be re-installed, or you accidentally blow away the
/home partition in Linux, all your data will be
safe as long as you don't touch that last partition.

Since doing this, I haven't lost a thing in the way of
important info, docs or media  of any kind unless I made
a silly mistake. It may sound complicated, but it really
isn't. Just takes a bit of time. Once it's done you should
be able to access your files from either O/S without having
to install anything else, and you can leave your
Windows partition alone and untouched while using Linux.

One last note here. Don't bother creating or formatting the
last partition until both Windows and Linux are fully
installed. That way, you can do it quickly from either O/S
at your convenience, and you don't have to do it until
you're happy with the results of the installs.

One other feature of this is that you can create separate
folders on the third partition to store Linux and Windows
downloads, so that if you ever need them again, they'll be
right where you left them. You'll save time on having to
re-download them again and again.

Hope this helps.

Lanman