On Tuesday 23 December 2003 10:22 pm, Steven Nelson droned on:
> Am new to Linux. Worked with Linux for about 5 months. I've studied
> computers for a while. Can understand computers pretty good. Need help
> configuring Linux though. Will somebody assist me with installing and
> configuring Linux? Installing and configuring will probably get very
> technical.
it is real easy to install Mandrake.

But a few notes:
If you have a modem that you use to connect to the Internet, make sure that it
will work under Linux. Some are WinModems, but only a subset can become
LinModems. If you use DSL or connect to a LAN via a PCI NIC, then you should
have no problem. If you connect via a USB connection, see below.

Know your actual monitor name. My Sony Trintron Multiscan 17SE is actually as
Sony GDM-17SE, as you will be asked to provide that, I don't think it can be
auto-detected.

If you have anything USB that is important to you, either learn to live
without it, or study up on USB and the needs first. My USB mouse, and camera
works great, but it took a little tweaking to be right. I would suggest a PS2
mouse to install.

During Mandrake's Install, after Hardware detection, you will get a screen
that lists all the possible hardware categories on the machine, and how they
are set up. Go through each of these, and make sure that they are setup for
your machine. One of my biggest goofs was when I breezed by this.
--

Linux: For the people, by the people.
Linux Counter #183693 http://counter.li.org/