On Wednesday 24 December 2003 06:22, Steven Nelson wrote:
> Am new to Linux. Worked with Linux for about 5 months. I've studied
> computers for a while. Can understand computers pretty good. Need
> help configuring Linux though. Will somebody assist me with
> installing and configuring Linux? Installing and configuring will
> probably get very technical.

Steven, installing Mandrake is easier than installing windows.  How
old is your hardware?  What model is your video card?  Do you have
anything unusual in your setup?

You may be as well checking out the capability of your video card and
monitor, just in case you have to choose from an option list.

Assuming that all your equipment is fairly standard stuff, just boot
from the cd and you're ready to go.  One thing I would advise,
though, is when you get to the partitioning screen, create a separate
partition for /home - and make it a reasonably big one.  If you feel
the need to reinstall at any time you will be able to keep all the
data and config files that are in /home, whereas if you don't do this
you will lose everything, just like in a windows re-install.

Over the holiday there may not be too many of us around, but ask any
questions you like.  Someone will always try to answer.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302