I'm having difficulty understanding the proper way to configure the Software Media Manager (SMM). I was trying to install the latest Anjuta 1.2.0, and I found it here:

ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586

I started by adding the following to the sources first, as it contained files I needed:

ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586

When I did that, it seemed to find the hdlist all by itself. I'm looking at the config for that and it claims the relative path is "hdlist.cz". When I click on a file in this directory, I see descriptions for it. It also took a long time for the SMM to download it, I guess because it was downloading all the descriptions.

When I added the first ftp directory above, I again didn't specify the "relative path to synthesis/hdlist". Editing that entry now I see "synthesis.hdlist.cz". It finished very fast, and I could see it trying to find an hdlist in multiple locations (and failing, apparently.) I have no descriptions for anything in that directory, though the files themselves show up.

Finally, my questions:

(1) Am I doing the appropriate thing by specifying the complete directory, or should I just be "ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu"; and it knows to look in the appropriate subdirectories?

(2) What is the appropriate thing to enter in the "relative path to synthesis/hdlist" field? How do I know this without someone telling me? For the second ftp directory above (the one that seems to have been added completely, judging from the presence of descriptions), I don't see any hdlist file in the ftp directory (I ftp'd there directly.)

(3) The install of anjuta found everything on the carroll edu site, and installed okay (anjuta runs.) But when it finished, it said "installation failed, source Carroll EDU has invalid list file format". What does this mean? Note this is the source with the descriptions.

(3) I guess I should have asked this first. Is there a HOWTO on SMM?

Thanks, as always.

--
Guy Rouillier