Saturday 27 December 2003 8:41 pm, Guy Rouillier wrote:

> Ok, let me be exact then.  I'm ftp'd into Carroll.  Here is the full
> path the the contrib directory I need:
>
> /pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586

The full URL to start from is:

ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel

- From there you can get into the contrib, unsupported, and cooker (main)
directories. If you are starting from contrib, the URL is:

ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586

and if you want to get to the base directory from there you need to go "Up"
twice (../../) and enter the cooker directory. That relative path from the
above URL is:

../../cooker

and from there you want to get into the Mandrake directory for the
architecture you are using, which I'll assume is i586, with a final
destination of the base directory. Watch the bouncing relative path! (-;

../../cooker/i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

since the directory we started from was contrib we want the hdlist for that
set of packages.

Now if you want to do this in the Software Manager dialogue copy and paste the
ftp URL into the appropriate line and the relative path is what I showed just
above.

Are you running cooker or 9.2? Cooker packages often don't play well with
release compilers etc so I hope you have a reason to want that ajunta package
from cooker. Just a word of caution, I always start breaking my install and
go full cooker about halfway through a release cycle (or earlier) myself.

> This directory has the two synthesis files in it.  And here is the path
> to the hdlist.cz to which you referred:

Yes.

> /pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/base
>
> This directory has a whole bunch of hdlist files, plus one called
> hdlists which describe what they all do.  Here is the contents of hdlists:
>
> hdlist.cz     Mandrake/RPMS   Installation CD
> hdlist.src.cz   ../SRPMS      Installation sources
> hdlist2.cz    Mandrake/RPMS2  Contrib CD
> hdlist2.src.cz  ../../contrib/SRPMS   Contrib sources
> hdlist3.cz    Mandrake/RPMS3  Jpackage
> hdlist3.src.cz  ../../contrib/jpackage/SRPMS  Jpackage sources

Yeah, I have it on my screen as I type this.

> Now, in order to get from this base directory into the contrib/i586
> directory would require this navigation:

That's backwards but I see where you want to go.

> ../../../../contrib/i586

Use the URL below, please use Konqueror since it's the easiest browser to
describe this for:

ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/base

Now click the "Up" arrow in the navigation bar 4 (four) times. You're now at
the part of the "tree" where you can choose cooker, contrib, or unsupported.

> which doesn't fit any of the descriptions from the hdlists I printed out
> above.  Sorry, Charlie, I *do* have a cold, so maybe I'm not thinking
> clearly, but do you see why I'm still not clear on this?  It doesn't
> look like any of the hdlist files is for that other contrib directory.

Yeah I see it. The mirrors have a weird directory structure. Release trees are
a bit simpler I think. Maybe. I'm still trying to figure out why you're
working this backwards. The package manager has to know where the packages
are, and the relative path from _there_ to the hdlists, not the other way
around, which is what you're doing.

> > You're very welcome Guy; but I have a question for you. You are free to
> > refuse to answer, it's your choice:
> >
> > Are we havin' fun yet? <g>
>
> I should probably be asking you that <gr>.  I appreciate your continued
> indulgence.

It's OK, just don't give me anything hard to do since I think I'm going to
fall over from exhaustion. It's been a long week. (-:

If I don't make it back tonight please be patient, or hopefully one of the
smart people that read the list will jump in. I hope. I really do need to be
horizontal for a few hours. Today actually started Thursday morning.

I hope you feel better soon Guy.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21.tmb.1mdk
21:16:48 up 7 days, 7:05, 1 user, load average: 0.14, 0.61, 0.73
We have nowhere else to go... this is all we have.
                -- Margaret Mead