Charlie Mahan wrote:

Friday 26 December 2003 7:25 pm, Guy Rouillier wrote:
<whack>

Ok, I see what you are talking about, Carroll EDU seems to have an extra
contrib directory (that had the anjuta I wanted) that is not part of
cooker and appears not to be structured like the others.  Under
/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel are both a cooker and a contrib
subdirectory.  If I look under cooker/i586/Mandrake, I do indeed see a
base directory with the files you describe.  However, if I look in
contrib/i586, there are no subdirectories - all the RPMs are right there
(including the two .  And I wouldn't expect to find descriptions for
those files in ../../cooker/i586/Mandrake/base, since the files in
contrib are not even in cooker.

But that's exactly where they are Guy. For consistency and ease of coding all of the relevant hdlists are always in /Mandrake/base with only synthesis files in the actual directory. URPMI is coded to look there for the package information it needs to deal with user requests. If you think of it that way it may make more sense because the prime reason for a list of available packages and the information to make it possible to avoid dependency problems is to *install* those packages. That means the list has to be somewhere consistent in the tree structure or it won't be found; then "cooker" or "release" become "slaughter and re-install" and that will never do. (-;

What I'm saying is the hdlists should always be where they are (/Mandrake/base) so that urpmi doesn't become too unwieldy.

Ok, let me be exact then. I'm ftp'd into Carroll. Here is the full path the the contrib directory I need:

/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586

This directory has the two synthesis files in it. And here is the path to the hdlist.cz to which you referred:

/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/base

This directory has a whole bunch of hdlist files, plus one called hdlists which describe what they all do. Here is the contents of hdlists:

hdlist.cz       Mandrake/RPMS   Installation CD
hdlist.src.cz   ../SRPMS        Installation sources
hdlist2.cz      Mandrake/RPMS2  Contrib CD
hdlist2.src.cz  ../../contrib/SRPMS     Contrib sources
hdlist3.cz      Mandrake/RPMS3  Jpackage
hdlist3.src.cz  ../../contrib/jpackage/SRPMS    Jpackage sources

Now, in order to get from this base directory into the contrib/i586 directory would require this navigation:

../../../../contrib/i586

which doesn't fit any of the descriptions from the hdlists I printed out above. Sorry, Charlie, I *do* have a cold, so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but do you see why I'm still not clear on this? It doesn't look like any of the hdlist files is for that other contrib directory.

My pleasure. I hope I was of some help.

Absolutely, I would not have gotten this far without your insights. Thanks again.

You're very welcome Guy; but I have a question for you. You are free to refuse to answer, it's your choice:

Are we havin' fun yet? <g>

I should probably be asking you that <gr>. I appreciate your continued indulgence.

Charlie
--
Guy Rouillier