Charlie Mahan wrote:
<snip>

Charlie, thanks for the detailed reply.  After you pointed it out, I got
back on gFtp and went back to Carroll EDU.  I do indeed see hdlist.cz in
pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/contrib/i586 and two sythesis files
in pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel/contrib/i586.  On this
particular FTP site I can't find the base directory you identify
relative to the mandrake-devel directory.  Perhaps because this is a
devel directory?  In the non-devel contrib directory, I do indeed see a
16 MB hdlist.cz file.

There is a base directory in the trees for all releases, including for cooker (mandrake-devel). From the mandrake module on the mirror open i586/Mandrake/base. The mandrake module starts after the:

/distributions/

It's where the md5sums, hdlists, and other odds'n'sods are. Click below to see it:

ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/base

If you use a browser and shorten the URL to leave out the i586 and subsequent parts, then (in Konqueror anyway) click View, View Mode and select Tree View you'll see what I mean more clearly. Click the URL below, set your browser as suggested and then open the contrib directory and browse to the packages. - From there to get to the /base directory use the "Up" arrow on the navigation bar twice, then open the i586 directory, Mandrake directory, the base directory. What you did manually is the equivalent of the "relative path to" sub URL I showed before:

../../i586/Mandrake/base/hdlist2.cz

BTW the line above can be copied and pasted into the appropriate line of the Software Source editor dialogue.

Ok, I see what you are talking about, Carroll EDU seems to have an extra contrib directory (that had the anjuta I wanted) that is not part of cooker and appears not to be structured like the others. Under /pub/linux/distributions/mandrake-devel are both a cooker and a contrib subdirectory. If I look under cooker/i586/Mandrake, I do indeed see a base directory with the files you describe. However, if I look in contrib/i586, there are no subdirectories - all the RPMs are right there (including the two . And I wouldn't expect to find descriptions for those files in ../../cooker/i586/Mandrake/base, since the files in contrib are not even in cooker.

My pleasure. I hope I was of some help.

Absolutely, I would not have gotten this far without your insights. Thanks again.

Charlie

-- Guy Rouillier