Hi all,

I just read this thread so sorry if I missed
something important. I agree with Anne and everybody in the different
(and much better!) way that Linux handles memory compared to Windows.
But I must also say that there is a bug in the enterprise kernel that
comes with 9.2 (I think it is 2.4.22-10, but I am not sure). With that
kernel in a computer with more than around 850Mb RAM, the kernel itself
takes and never releases (as it should be, since kernel 2.4 is not
preemptible) ALL memory above 850MB, as I could see in my computer with
2GB, and only around 800MB free. Upgrading to the latest kernel, solved
the problem. The bug is documented in the "bugs corrected" (or
something similar) messages
that can be read when you start Mandrake Update in MCC, and look for a
kernel update. I am sorry but I am not sitting at my computer now, so I
cannot give more details...

This problem may be affecting Steven, since he is running the
enterprise kernel with 1GB RAM, and I think 360MB used memory after
starting the computer is too high, or it may be not if he starts X ans
several programs...

Best regards and Happy New Year

Pablo Vito

> Will reply later today. From, Steven
>

> >From: Richard Urwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: [newbie] Physical memory is to high.
> >Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:28:02 +0000

> > > I'm not sure what you mean by this one, Seven, and since I don't
use
> > > 9.2 I'll let someone else try to answer that.
> >
> >I assume that you mean right-click menu, or that you have a left-
handed
> >mouse,
> >since there is no left click menu anywhere that I am aware of.
> >
> >Which terminal program are you using? "konsole" (the default KDE
terminal)
> >works fine here, it has a menu bar with copy and paste under
the "Edit"
> >entry, and right clicking gives me a context menu with copy and paste
> >options.  "konsole" is the only option on the K menu "Terminals"
submenu.

> >I found "eterm" didn't understand the Windows/KDE copy and paste
> >methodology,
> >but did understand the highlight-and-middle-click X methodology. And
that
> >caused a problem with some KDE apps that used only the KDE method.
But
> >eterm
> >isn't installed as standard. xterm may suffer the same problem, but
so far
> >as
> >I can see, that isn't installed as standard either.
> >
> >(Just for the record I agree with everyone's comments on your memory
> >situation
> >- you don't have a problem.)
> >
> >--
> >Richard Urwin
> >
> >Want to buy your Pack or Services from MandrakeSoft?
> >Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

> Make your home warm and cozy this winter with tips from MSN House &
Home.
> http://special.msn.com/home/warmhome.armx

Pablo Vitoria Garcia
Dpto. Química Inorgánica