On Monday 29 Dec 2003 11:51 am, Steven Nelson wrote:
> I will try to reply to the email the best I can. I thought the disk cache
> and the physical memory did not work together.

Yes they do. Where else could the disc cache be other than in memory?

> If they do that would take
> up alot of space. There is still a problem though. The computer has 512 mb
> of memory and almost all of it is being used.

Good! If memory is not used it is wasted!

> Alot of programs are using
> 20mb to run. That is to much. Is there a way to fix the problem?

So?  Applications take as much memory as they need. Is your system running
slow? Are you using lots of swap space? If not then there is no problem.

> I cannot
> get the copies of the programs because the terminal will not copy and paste

Highlight with mouse to copy to clipboard. Press centre button/mouse wheel to
paste.

> and the when I try to open lilo.conf (not sure I am trying to open right)
> it states permision denied.

Do it as root.
Alt+F2 will pull up a command box. Type
kdesu konqueror
in the box to get a root copy of konqueror.

Linux is not Windows. Do not expect it be the same. Windows is rubbish at
managing memory. Linux is good at it :-)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net