On Monday 29 December 2003 11:51, Steven Nelson wrote:
> I will try to reply to the email the best I can. I thought the disk
> cache and the physical memory did not work together. If they do
> that would take up alot of space.

What you are seeing is memory cache, not disk cache

> There is still a problem though.
> The computer has 512 mb of memory and almost all of it is being
> used. Alot of programs are using 20mb to run. That is to much. Is
> there a way to fix the problem?

There is no problem, because cached memory usage is released whenever
it is needed.

> I cannot get the copies of the
> programs because the terminal will not copy and paste

To get a copy of lines on a terminal printout you have to use the
linux way :-)  That is, you sweep your mouse quickly accross the
required text and release the button.  This is put onto your
clipboard (which can hold severl entries).  To paste it you
middle-click the destination.  On a wheel mouse that's the wheel.  On
a two-button mouse it's usually both buttons together.

> and the when
> I try to open lilo.conf (not sure I am trying to open right) it
> states permision denied.

You have to be root to write to it, but I would have expected you to
be able to read from it (is this a feature of 9.2, folks?).  Anyway,
you can use the linux way - again, from a root console, type
cat /etc/lilo.conf - then use the method described above.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302