E. Hines wrote:

| Just My Opinion, which probably isn't worth much.  I've installed 9.2
on two
| different laptops and on my experimental machine at home.  For me, the
| "updated rpm packages fix" was a necessity due to menu problems after I
| installed additional programs.

Never had the menu problem myself.

Sound worked out of the box for all 3
| machines, and video cards were detected.

Yep, same here.

The home machine won't run Flash 6, but Flash 5 works fine, and
| I'm still trying to iron that problem out.  I didn't install Flash on the
| laptops, but others on this list say Flash 6 works fine for them.

Flash 6 works fine.

~ Some are
| complaining about Realplayer, but it works for me.

This was one of my biggest annoyances about 9.1: Realplayer would not
play ball no matter what I did.

~ Kde seems to run faster
| in 9.2 on my old 233 experimental box than it did with 9.1, so perhaps
some
| optimization is in place with the newer kernel.

Yes, prob a tad quicker here too.

~  CUPS has been changed somewhat since 9.1.  For
| me, I had to do some hunting around to install my networked printer.  It
| seems to be optimized for business now, and is a bit more complicated for
| home use.  In the old days it took just choosing the "Printer on
Remote CUPS
| Server" box, then the server IP and printername, then printer drivers.
 The
| new version isn't quite as intuitive, but I'll get used to it now that
I've
| done it one time.

Printer installed easily in 9.1 & 9.2, but easier to get at options in
9.2 via CUPS, xpp, kprinter etc (this may be just me getting to know a
system better).

~ > There you have it. I wouldn't replace a working 9.1 install with 9.2.

Looks like I'm one of the few that would, then!

It does seem to be a bit of a lottery, installing any distro of Linux.
Will your particular combination of hardware work with that distro?  If
not, can you come up with a solution, usu by the mailing lists/forums?
This is OT I know, but I am trying to get Damn Small Linux going on a
PII 300 64Mb laptop, or indeed any other live distro, and it ain't
happening. Yet I read of others who found it worked on a 486 out of the
box!!

Looks like the particular hardware combination I have worked well with
9.2.  I couldn't get RH9 going for love nor money, btw.

Paul