On Tuesday 20 January 2004 09:21 am, robin wrote:
> Marc wrote:
> > Yesterday I went to do a clean install of 9.2  I had a number of files in
> > my home directory and before formatting the hard drive burnt everything
> > in home to CD. I had a number of files that must have been email
> > attachments. They were in my home/documents directory and  had jpg images
> > in them.
> >
> >    After doing the fresh install of 9.2 and putting the files back in
> > home/documents they now appear as a icon with a yellow envelope with a
> > sheet of paper behind it.  They have no suffix in the file name to
> > identify them as jpg  pdf  or anything. My question is how can I open
> > these files and recover the data on them?

   It looks like I have the problem solved.  I created a new folder in Kmail
called old mail, then drug and dropped all the files there. K mail opens 95%
of them and and displays the attachments with photos as jpg files. I suspect
I will find a similar solution for the remaining few.

   Thanks to all who replied

    Marc