Well I don't know why your system hangs but trust me on this - you can
definitely have linux on the primary slave drive.  I started out with a
conceptually similar system to what you are proposing.  Windows primary
master, linux primary slave.  I partitioned my drive something like the
following:

windows 1.08gig drive to itself
/boot           16 meg partition on primary slave
/               5.something gig on primary slave
swap            64meg on primary slave

LILO installed at the master boot record of the primary master (windows)
drive.  Bear in mind a 20 gig hard drive is a bloody big hard drive.  A full
format and filesystem creation on my 'tiny' 6.4gig takes probably 20 minutes
(I've never actually timed it - but I sure as hell go make a coffee and read
for a bit) so on a 20 gig it will take time and a lot of it.  If I remember
rightly (it was a while ago) there isn't a progress meter while the
filesystem and formatting is taking place, so it might appear that your
system hangs, though if you can change to virtual consoles I wouldn't have
thought so.  Can you hear any disk activity?

I reckon you should installing it all again, set up your partitions and go
for nice walk, grab a coffee and cake at a cafe, go home and see if anything
happens.  As I come from Australia I have seen the Fairy Penguin (the mighty
Tux) in the wild.  Linux is like a penguin - you need to leave it alone and
let it do its thing.

In my experience if you wait around for these sorts of things (drive
formats, fsck checks etc) to finish you get tempted to check to see what's
happening and interrupt at an inopportune moment.  If the install doesn't
format your drive in an hour or so then you probably do have problems.
Those more knowledgeable than I might be able to help you then.

Aaron