----- Original Message -----
From: "Hoyt Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2004 11:30
Subject: [newbie] Re: Ready to update?

> I looked around and found configuration, Software Management, Mandrake
> update in Gnome.  Got the list as described and requested the first 12
items
> in normal.  All 12 errored with (couldnt open file).
> Gnome dosent work well for me.  I had to do a master reset to exit due to
> the system hanging up after logout.
> Is there a way to do this in KDE or command line?

I found a command for command line,  but I decided to try gnome again.  This
time instead of answering no to continue I continued and this time 2
packages installed so I did ran install again and this time 6 packages didnt
install.  All packages were security packages. Next I tried bug fixes and 11
out of 12 failed to install.  Flustered I then selected all bug fixes and
(191MB) failed to install very quickly (less than a minute).  I called top
next and 3 processes were running, X, top, gnome terminal.  CPU 4.8%, user
0.3% system 96.3& idle.  The reason for running top was that the system is
extreemly slow, frequently taking as much as a minute to respond.  I felt it
likely that this could be the problem.  I am running the cpu applet on the
console and the cpu is hardly used (very low use) on both KDE and gnome.
The only thing I have to compare it to is a 586 however.  Also I have yet to
see swap used.  CPU is athlon 2100+ XP with 512MB of mem.  Any ideas?
Regards;
Hoyt