On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 08:05:29 -0600
"Hoyt Bailey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> install.  All packages were security packages. Next I tried bug fixes
> and 11 out of 12 failed to install.  Flustered I then selected all bug
> fixes and(191MB) failed to install very quickly (less than a minute).
> I called top

You were using Mandrake update, right? The slow response might be due to
heavy I/O activity, or it could be the sign of large memory consumption.
You did mention that the system is not swapping, which of course is a
good thing, but depending on what you are trying to do, the underlying
engine can require a lot of think time to slog through all the
dependencies, comparing what you have on your system. A huge update
would maybe take several minutes (or longer) before it came back with
actual packages to install/upgrade.

IME, I've had more success with urpmi than I ve had with Mandrake
update. The latter used to be very greedy for RAM, possibly that's been
addressed.