On Tuesday 03 February 2004 09:49 am, Hoyt Bailey wrote:

>>> snip

> I'm using the cpu moniter applet and the modem lights applet to monitor
> things.  The cpu is very inactive hardly works, except when installing a
> program then it fills the entire monitor.  The moden lights indicates that
> the server is responding and sending information but there are no messages
> to advise me what is going on (I dont know what message 109 means or 180 17
> or etc.).  The major problem is that either some program times out and
> decides that it isnt going to get the rpm and a message appears that tells
> me that install cant read the sig.  Cant open the rpm,  which hasnt been
> downloaded because it quit before downloading. So I click continue and
> install and maybe it will download the rpm,  maybe not but it finally does.
> I suspect the server is very busy but nothing tells me that it is,  why
> doesnt the program switch servers if it is busy.  This is possible because
> there are a lot of servers around the world.  As you can tell I am
> flustered.
> Regards;
> Hoyt

Hoyt:
About monitoring your modem: If you are using dialup, and if you connect via
kppp, then you can see a graphical display of line activity by clicking on
the kppp ditty in the taskbar and selecting Details. (Not the complete
authoritative response you need, I know, but it does beat hell out of staring
at those lights.)
-- cmg