At 08:22 PM 1/31/04, aronsmith wrote:

On Sat, 2004-01-31 at 16:56, JoeHill wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:52:28 -0800
> aronsmith disseminated the following:
>
> > OK.. I got off my dead arse and bought a small hard drive some ram and 3
> > NICs for the spare box I want to make a firewall/router out of it I also
> > bought 3 non crossover cables (did I get the right ones?)
>
> Yep, you want straight through.
>
> > This is an old compaqbox 500 Mhz and will have 128Mb Ram (I know its a
> > lot for a firwall but thats all they had) any suggestions
>
> If it has a CDROM drive, you can't beat:
>
> http://www.smoothwall.org/
>
> Burn the ISO, boot your router box from the CD, and you got yerself a kickass
> firewall, easily admin'ed with a browser interface, though I think it also comes
> with SSH is yer into that.
>
> ...and since you have 3 NICs, you get to have 3 interfaces: 1 internal, 1
> firewall, and one DMZ, where you can put stuff like gaming rigs or other
> non-security sensitive stuff.
>
> Run one cable from your modem to the router, then one cable from the router to
> the hub (I assume you have one), then one from the hub to each machine on the
> LAN.

Nope don't have a hub any suggestions? ( I'm cheap)

Too cheap for a hub? That is cheap. You can do pc-to-pc with a cross-over cable. But this means you can only have three machines in your lan. You use straight-thru cable from router to modem and cross-over from router to pc on each of the other two nic's in your router. To add more pc's to lan you must have hub or switch.