On Wednesday 04 February 2004 08:13 am, robin wrote:
> > http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2004Feb/gee20040203023723.h
> >tm
>
> Interesting, though it seems to be saying that the main
> advantages are for high-end servers. Any comments on the
> desktop end?

     I see very little speed difference, and I'm using the sup'd
up tmb versions,   2.6.2-0.rc2.1.tmb.2mdk   MOF, my hdparm -t
numbers are lower under 2.6.x, 47 down to 40mb/s.

    Biggest changes for desktops are increased hardware support.
ide-scsi is no longer used, all CD drives are now scsci driven.
On my board (Asus A7V600), ACPI and APIC now want to be enabled,
but I do have better IRQ routing.  Sound is sometimes a little
tinny an ragged, but I believe thats due to newer Alsa versions
in 2.6.x kernels.

     2.4.x kernels didn't really start to jell till 2.4.13. I
suspect 2.6.x wont need that many versions to mature. Linus has
said so!  ;)    I agree with JoeHill tho, those that can run
2.6.x now, should.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas