On Saturday 21 February 2004 12:46 pm, Marc Resnick wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2004 12:35 pm, John Drouhard wrote:
> > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:39:00 -0500
> >
> > Marc Resnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I tried building the 2.4.25 kernel, but I have one problem. I did make
> > > dep and make clean etc. separately because make all wasn't working.
> > > But, I can't find the bzImage. I did 'make bzImage' twice, but It's not
> > > there. Any idea where it might be?
> > >
> > > Marc
> >
> > I don't know why you are trying to build a 2.4 kernel, unless there is a
> > specific reason for it, but you have to type:
> > make dep clean && make modules bzImage
> >
> > then as root:
> > make modules_install
> >
> > I highly suggest you try the 2.6 kernel first. As for your black screen
> > problem, change the line that says vga=788 to vga=normal.
> >
> > Here is my entry for my 2.6 kernel (with vga=normal):
> > image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.1
> >         label="linux2.6.1"
> >         root=/dev/hdc5
> >         initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.1.img
> >         append="devfs=nomount splash=silent noapic acpi=off hdb=ide-cdrom
> > hdd=ide-cdrom" read-only
> >         vga=normal
> >
> > If that still doesn't work, I guess you could try following my
> > instructions from the beginning, skipping the parts about bootsplash.
> > But try vga=normal with your 2.6 kernel first.
> >
> > John
>
> Just wondering...What does the 'devfs=nomount' mean, because all of my
> other lilo entries say 'devfs=mount'. Also, I was just trying the 2.4
> kernel to see if it might work. In other words, I was in a hotel room in
> Delaware and I was bored. =)
>
> --Marc

Okay let's condense this into one thread now

Here's my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
vga=normal
default="linux"
keytable=/boot/us.klt
prompt
nowarn
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label="linux"
        root=/dev/hda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi resume=/dev/hda6
splash=silent"
        vga=788
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label="linux-nonfb"
        root=/dev/hda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="devfs=mount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi resume=/dev/hda6"
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label="windows"
        table=/dev/hda
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-10mdk
        label="old_linux-nonfb"
        root=/dev/hda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.22-10mdk.img
        append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi resume=/dev/hda6"
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label="failsafe"
        root=/dev/hda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img
        append="failsafe devfs=nomount splash=silent hdc=ide-scsi
resume=/dev/hda6"
        read-only
image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.3
        label="Linux-2.6.3"
        root=/dev/hda5
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.3.img
        append="devfs=nomount hdb=ide-cdrom hdd=ide-cdrom"
        vga=normal
        read-only

And my fstab:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 noatime 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda7 /home ext3 noatime 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,ro 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

And I just noticed, something odd is happening with my cdrom drive. I just
tried to install a package, with CD 2, and it didn't eject my cdrom drive
like it usually does, then it didn't detect the cd. It also said insert the
disk into /dev/hdc... But the device is /dev/scd0. This probably has
something to do with the cdrom device config during boot that I mentioned in
the other thread.

--Marc