Erylon Hines wrote:

On Friday 20 February 2004 01:04 pm, Lee B. wrote:

Trying to get my APC UPS working, but discovered that the USB isn't
working!

Mandrake 9.2, clean install, not an upgrade
Motherboard: Asus P3V4X (P-III 600mhz) 256mb
USB enabled in bios (w/Legacy support set to "Auto")

HardDrake shows the USB controller as a VIA VT82C586B

USBView won't display anything. It says: "Can not open
/proc/bus/usb/devices. Verify you have USB compiled into your kernel,
have the USB core modules loaded, and have the usbdevfs filesystem
mounted."

Where should I start in solving this?

You should see the usb module loading during the boot process. If not, you can try an root#insmod usb-ohci (I think that board uses the ohci module, not the uhci)
.
The relevant line in /etc/modules.conf is this one:

probeall usb-interface usb-ohci

Happened to me once, on 8.2 I think it was.

Thanks Erylon,

Running "insmod usb-ohci" resulted in a couple screens full of messages: "unresolved symbol usb_xxxxx...

I don't see any usb stuff loading during boot, but the early boot messages go by rather quickly...

So, where from here? Should I try the insmod usb-uhci ?