Bryan Phinney wrote:

Linux is not XP.

Agreed.

You might also try to turn off PNP in the BIOS of the motherboard,
that sometimes helps.  Also, try to issue the "lsmod" command as root
from the command line and see if it lists a usbcore module.  If not,
you might try checking the /etc/modules.conf file to see if you are

Already had PNP turned off in the bios, thanks.

lsmod does not show a usb module.

/etc/modules.conf has no reference to usb.

I looked at the bios again and didn't see anything about APIC. My Asus
board was relatively popular in its time, and isn't all that old. Bios
revision is current.

Thanks.