Bryan Phinney wrote:

On Monday 23 February 2004 12:32 am, Lee B. wrote:

Switching off apci didn't help.

Also switch off APIC. The APIC software is an Intel invention and published specs are still being worked out by Linux developers. Since APIC controls IRQ and interrupts, it is possible that leaving APIC in place will cause you not to get the proper assignments in BIOS for USB. On my machine, that is exactly the case, apci doesn't have any effect on USB but APIC certainly does.

One quick way to find out is to turn APIC off in the BIOS and reload Linux. If you suddenly start seeing new devices being found, then you can be pretty sure that you got it. Then, simply add noapic to the lilo options line.

Jeez, USB and sound are no brainers in Windows XP! Not so in Linux it
appears...

These kinds of comparisons won't win you many friends in this community.

It's the truth. In XP USB and sound just work. You don't have to be a systems engineer to make it work. I would love to see Linux truly win on the desktop. Unless and until these type of issues can be resolved that just won't happen on a large scale. I'm sorry if this true comparisons offend you or anyone else here, that was not my intention. Apparently it's OK to take pot shots at Windows for any reason, but pointing out a Linux weakness in an effort to help solve the issue, and help Linux succeed isn't appreciated. My mistake.

Do I need to reload Linux for it to recognize USB?

I don't see any place to turn of "apic" in the bios... Is it called something else?

Adding noapic nolapic to lilo didn't help.

Thanks for the help.