On Saturday 21 February 2004 06:43, Ray Hogaboom wrote:

Ray, someone else will answer you in detail, but this, to me, is the
mos important bit.

> Linux is secure? But still I have to have a fire wall.

Once you have your system running reasonably as you want it, ask for
help to set up your firewall.  With a little guidance it can be done
quickly and easily.  The advantage over the xp firewall is that you
can see exactly what it is doing, and adjust it if it doesn't meet
your needs.

> I read that there has been only 2 virus that would work in linux.
> But still I see talk about anti virus software in this email list.

Newbies often ask about AV software.  You do not need it at present
(because of the low likelihood of a new virus running under linux) if
you run a stand-alone box or only linux boxes on your lan.  The
reason people do run AV software is if they run a mailserver which
delivers to windows boxes.  Social conscience, you see, so that they
do not allow windows viruses to be passed on through themselves.

> And I still need to down load and install security updates. But
> cant do that until I join the Mandrake club.

This is not so.  If you run Mandrake Update you will be shown all that
is available.  There will be a huge number, so you may want to read
down the list and pick out the most important ones first.  By all
means join the club if you settle to Mandrake, but there are no
services that are club only, apart from a download section that has a
little additional software and some sections of the forums.

> But do I want to pay
> for one year of service for something that does not do what I was
> led to believe it would do. Mandrake club sounds like it might have
> some good programs. But I could not find any list of apps that
> would be available if I join.

Often the club software is an early release of something that is
available to all in the previous release.  There are a few licensed
commercial apps, I think.

There is a huge amount of software available to you on-line.  Get your
security updates first, then go to http://www.urpmi.org/easyurpmi/ to
set up additional sources.  The page walks you through the steps.

Finally, follow the link in my sig to find the Community TWiki, where
Mandrake users post a good deal of helpful information and links.

Anne
- --
Registered Linux User No.293302