On Saturday 21 February 2004 01:41 pm, John Drouhard wrote:
> Marc Resnick wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 February 2004 01:25 pm, John Drouhard wrote:

> >>What kernel are you running? If its the 2.6 kernel, then change the
> >>cdrom line in your fstab file to:
> >>/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
> >>
> >>The only problem with this is that supermount no longer works. To get
> >>supermount to work, you'd have to patch the kernel with the supermount
> >>patch and then recompile. The above line will not mount your cdrom, and
> >>you have to do it manually with this command: 'mount /dev/hdc'.
> >>
> >>Did the vga=normal thing fix your boot problem?
> >>
> >>John
> >
> > If you mean what kernel am I trying to run, then yes it's 2.6. Would
> > there be any way to have it mount automatically on boot? You know, make a
> > script and have it execute when I start up.
> >
> > The vga=normal fixed the blank screen, but read my other reply to see the
> > new problem.
> >
> > Also, any thoughts about what happened with my cdrom drive and device
> > scd0?
>
> Ya, to have your cd mount on boot (you would have to unmount it if you
> want to switch cd's then remount), just remove "noauto" from the cdrom
> line of you fstab.
>
> When the 2.6 kernel gets up and running, the cdrom drive and device scd0
> will go away. It's complaining because your cdrom is currently scd0, but
> fstab says its hdc. With the 2.6 kernel, the device will be hdc and
> rpmdrake will work fine.
>
> John

Wait...I'd need to unmount and mount again to switch cds? That's a bit
annoying. Anyway since the kernel panic error isn't solved, and I can't use
supermount, here's what I think I should do.

I'll start clean. I've done so much stuff to the source, no wonder it's not
working. I'll clean out the directory, and save my config file. I'll untar it
again, apply the supermount patch, apply the mm patch, copy over my .config,
do make oldconfig, do make all, do make modules_install, copy over the
bzImage, and make the initrd. My lilo entry will already be there.

Tell me if you think this is a good idea. It'll solve the unmounting and
mounting of hdc...right?

--Marc