On Tuesday 24 February 2004 06:16 am, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Monday 23 February 2004 09:23 pm, Lee B. wrote:
> > lsmod does not show a usb module.
> >
> > /etc/modules.conf has no reference to usb.
>
> Okay, first step is to try to find out what modules you need
> for USB and why they are not being loaded.  I am pretty sure
> that USB will NOT work without kernel modules loaded as I am
> almost certain that USB support is not built into the kernel
> with static support.
>
> You said that harddrake was identifying your USB controller
> card, can you give us more information about what info it gives
> you?  For instance, mine is identified as a VT8235 USB Enhanced
> Controller, vendor: VIA Technologies, Bus, Location, Module:
> ehci-hcd
>
> If you can find similar info about yours in harddrake, it might
> help us figure out which modules you need.
>
> Something else, can you edit your /etc/modules.conf file as
> root and add the following lines just as an experiment:
>
> probeall usb-interface
>
> Then restart, or you can issue the same command as root from
> the command line. Then do an lsmod and tell us if you see any
> additional modules for usb loaded.

     Once again Brian is right here with good helpful advice.
Sort'a liked Greg's advice about usin Gimp to calibrate monitor
DPI, even tho mine was disappointing (88 dpi, Samsung 19" flat
panel) ... but I digress.

    I believe it might be helpful to see the result of, (mine as
an example, Asus A7V600)

tom # dmidecode | grep USB
                        USB legacy is supported
                External Reference Designator: USB1
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB
                External Reference Designator: USB2
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB
                External Reference Designator: USB3
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB
                External Reference Designator: USB4
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB
                External Reference Designator: USB5
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB
                External Reference Designator: USB6
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB
                External Reference Designator: USB7
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB
                External Reference Designator: USB8
                External Connector Type: Access Bus (USB)
                Port Type: USB

     So it seems I'm full'a USB ;)  'Course then again, I've
always avoided Universal Serial Bus hardware. Don't have any.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American