SÃren Neigaard wrote:

I have a Kodak USB Picture Card Reader for CompactFlash cards.When I was
running Windows, I needed a driver from Kodak as far as I remember.

Heres a link to the Windows driver so you know the product:

http://wwwdk.kodak.com/global/en/service/downloads/dln_ekn.jhtml?ekn=EKN020812

The thing is that if I plug in the card reader to my USB port, Mandrake
wont even boot. Theres no messages, it just stops during boot.

If the card reader is not plugged in, I can see my USB port during boot:

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 11:59:06 Sep 18 2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
PCI: Enabling device 00:09.0 (0014 -> 0015)
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:09.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:10.0
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd400, IRQ 9
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Enabling device 00:09.1 (0014 -> 0015)
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:09.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 01:00.0
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xd000, IRQ 11
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 00:11.2
IRQ routing conflict for 00:11.2, have irq 9, want irq 3
IRQ routing conflict for 00:11.3, have irq 9, want irq 3
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xa400, IRQ 9
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 3
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 00:11.3
IRQ routing conflict for 00:11.2, have irq 9, want irq 3
IRQ routing conflict for 00:11.3, have irq 9, want irq 3
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xa000, IRQ 9
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 4
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
PCI: Enabling device 00:09.2 (0014 -> 0016)
PCI: Assigned IRQ 5 for device 00:09.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:05.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:0e.0
ehci_hcd 00:09.2: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0
ehci_hcd 00:09.2: irq 5, pci mem f8900000
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 5
ehci_hcd 00:09.2: USB 2.0 enabled, EHCI 0.95, driver 2003-Jun-19/2.4
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 4 ports detected
usbdevfs: remount parameter error

Can I get this card reader to work somehow?

Best regards
SÃren

Soren,
Do you have media in your card reader during boot time ?
Does kde-info-usb  detect your hubs correctly?
Looks to me that you do have a usb hub fully configured.
But is there an irq conflict,
IRQ routing conflict for 00:11.2, have irq 9, want irq 3
IRQ routing conflict for 00:11.3, have irq 9, want irq 3
I wonder why ?

It ought, in theory, to be possible to boot to desktop
and then hot plug the card reader, but I think maybe
it needs media in it as well, because as soon as the
device is plugged in the system wants to not only
configure the device but mount it as well.Now
that also needs a line in fstab to do that, I'm
wondering what line is in fstab do you have
to mount the reader ?
When a device like a card reader is mounted
during boot time the system tries to fsck it.
So if there is no media in the device it stops
and often hangs, or it does on mine.If I
have media in the reader the fsck is completed
and the mount is successfull, always provided
that there is a line in fstab to mount it.

So, what is the line in fstab ?
Do you include media in the reader at boot time?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]