On Monday 01 Mar 2004 1:44 pm, Lanman wrote:
> The fact that at least one list-member is unable to find Scribus on the
> download CD's for Mandrake 9.1, 9.2, and 10.0, made me wonder how many
> folks on the list are aware that there are 2 lists of packages on the
> Download CD sets.
>
> Assuming that you normally do your installations using the graphic
> installer included on the CD's, you may not be aware that you can also
> access a detailed list of packages instead of the default package list.
> This could be the reason that some folks on the list aren't seeing some of
> the apps, packages, and libraries which are included on the CD's.
>
> Also, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that your list of installed
> packages which is viewed in the software installer in MCC shows you a list
> based on how you viewed it during your install. Assuming that this is the
> case, you're missing out on a lot of software contained on the CD's which
> you would normally have to find by browsing each CD manually.
>
> Next time you're doing an install and you get to the first panel which
> lists main package groups (Workstation, Network Client, Desktops, Server ),
> check the box at the bottom of the panel called "Individual Package
> Selection" and click Next. Once you're at the next panel, you will see 4
> icons in the lower-left corner of the panel.
>
> From left to right, icons 1&2 allow you to view the current list in
> expanded mode, or to close the expanded mode. Icon #3 however, toggles the
> default list to the full comprehensive list or what is also known as the
> "Flat List". This is the one which will present you with the detailed list
> of packages. Dependancies will still be selected as required , so don't
> worry about that.
>
> Icon #4 can also be exceptionally helpful if you have a floppy drive. You
> can use this icon to save your list of packages to a floppy and also to
> read from that floppy disk the next time you need to do an install, on any
> PC, server, or laptop which has a floppy drive. This will save you a
> substantial amount of time when having to re-install, or upgrade.
>
> If you remember to back up your home folders and config files, you can also
> perform full installs of new versions, then create your old users in the
> same order you had done before, and copy/paste your saved files and configs
> back to their respective folders. Not only will you save time, but you can
> avoid the hassles of leftover package remnants from previous installs
> screwing up your install of the latest version of Mandrake.
>
> Hope this info helps!

Many thanks, Lanman, for the very useful information. I have printed it out
for future reference.

Scribus is definitely not on my download CDs. I have looked at the actual
rpm's on all of them (not just the lists), and it's nowhere in sight. I must
have bought an incomplete download edition. Can't download the CDs myself, as
I only have a dial-up Internet connection.

I have decided that when Mandrake10 is available, I'll buy the boxed set. This
will teach me not to economise!

Cheers

Keith