John Richard Smith wrote:
David E. Fox wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 11:04:12 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

See snapshot386.png I cut it in half to reduce the image size, but the
result as you can see is what I got in my browser from your above url.

Mozilla should have spotted that as a binary file, and offered you the
choice of saving it to disk.

That's what I thought, eventually. I twigged it was actually a download window, with a slider bar that eventually showed up in the mozilla window own slider bar , itself, rather in a seperate download window which it normally does. I put that down to some problem with the download site rather than mozilla itself which as I say normally does hand over to the download window setup.

But I've seen that too when using mozilla.
Have you tried reloading the URL on the location bar?

No, I didn't think to do that, actually I copied and pasted the url to d4x and a new download and it completed the job.

At least doing
that popped up the Save as dialog box.

Yes, that was what was missing.

And if you see a URL beginning with ftp:// the best thing to do is copy
& paste the url into a command line starting with 'ncftp'. Install ncftp
if you haven't already done so, because it's got to be the #1 text-mode
ftp client out there. It's on the DL edition, probably disk 2 or 3.

So what's this  "ncftp"  NC means ?
Now copy ?
]# rpm -qa | grep ncftp
]#

Ha,
ftp://216.254.0.38/linux/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ncftp-3.1.6-0.1.92mdk.i586.rpm

does it again, it's downloading something but where to?
I'm going to stop it, and use d4x though , don't have to search for a dl directory.

So lets find out about it,

name ncftp
summary An improved FTP client
version 3.1.6 -0.1.92mdk
group Networking/File transfer
size 957063
description Ncftp is an improved FTP client. Ncftp's improvements include support for command line editing, command histories, recursive gets, automatic anonymous logins and more.

It went on easy, not fuss,

Lets see now, what does it do ?
Same result though .
somehow I think your supposed to do something else with it ?

cd to the directory you want before you start ncftp, or within ncftp use the lcd command to change the local directory. AFAIK you can't ncftp to a file, only a directory: once you're logged in you use the get or mget commands (the latter is if you want regular expressions e.g. "mget *.rpm").

Sir Robin

--
"The other major kind of computer is the "Apple", which I do not
recommend, because it is a wuss-o-rama New-Age computer that you

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533