On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 10:41:22 +0000
John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ftp://216.254.0.38/linux/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ncftp-3.1.6-0.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
> does it again, it's downloading something but where to?

The directory where you started ncftp. It doesn't use download
directories - just start it in your regular directory (/home/user) and
it'll put the files there.

> description Ncftp is an improved FTP client. Ncftp's improvements
> include support for command line editing, command histories, recursive
>
> gets, automatic anonymous logins and more.

I've used it for years now - very useful. It will for instance ask you
whether or not you want to save a "placeholder" so that you don't have
to type some long ftp url to get the files - you can just say 'ncftp
updates' and be transported to the Mandrake 9.2 updates directory, for
instance.